Wicklow Mountains Special
Guided Walking Tour – Wicklow Mountains
During this 6 day guided tour you will experience the Garden of Ireland from your base at the Tinakilly Country house & Gardens.
Our trip takes us through Ireland’s largest National Park, covering 90,000ha, in central Wicklow. Wicklow Mountains National Park manages and protects some of Europe’s oldest boglands, heather covered mountains, broad-leafed and coniferous woodlands. The area provides habitat for native species including silka and red hybrid deer, foxes, badgers, hares and birds of prey.
During your stay in the ‘meadow of the Vikings’ your highlights will include the 6th Century Monastic City of Glendalough, a trip to Powerscourt House & Gardens and a trip to the Vale of Avoca to Ireland’s oldest working woollen mills.
Tour Pricing & Dates
|6 Day Tour||£919 per person sharing
Sunday to Friday
|Tour Dates 2018||Sunday 30th September to Friday 5th October|
|Tour Dates 2019||Sunday 7th April to Friday 12th April
Sunday 19th May to Friday 24th May
Sunday 16th June to Friday 21st June
Sunday 8th September to Friday 13th September
|Tour Grade||Easy to Moderate|
|BOOKING||BOOK THIS TOUR|
- Day 1 / Arrival to Aughrim
- From your pick-up at Dublin Airport at 1.00pm we transfer to The Brooke Lodge Hotel in the heart of the Wicklow Mountains. After settling in and light refreshments we will take a nice walk just to get the legs ready for the week ahead! Distance: 5km, Ascent: little to none.
- Day 2 / The Spinc & St. Kevin’s Monastic Site
- Our first walk starts from the village of Laragh and follows an old Green Road through an Oak and Beach forest onto part of Wicklow Way, Ireland’s oldest way marked trail. The trail takes us to the round tower of Glendalough where we will have a guided tour of the monastic settlement. We continue on forest tracks to ascend The Spinc and the side of Lugduff Mountain for breathtaking views of the lakes and surrounding countryside. We then descend to the Glenealo Valley passing through the deserted Miner’s Village. Distance: 11.5km, Ascent: 410 m.
- Day 3 / Trooperstown & Paddock Hill
- Today’s walk takes us south through an area Ballard Forest, we will pass evidence of a forgotten farming community that once lived and toiled the land. We follow a local’s path up the heather covered Trooperstown that will give a magnificent view in all directions including rolling hills, the Irish Sea, the Wicklow Mountins, and the Round Tower from a distance. We then move gently down into Trooperstown Forest, over the Avonmore River and up Paddock Hill where we will join another part of the Wicklow Way. Distance: 17 km, Ascent: 350 m.
- Day 4 / The Vale of Clara & Avoca
- Today our walk takes us to the magical Vale of Clara, a nature reserve containing the largest area of natural hardwood woodlands in the country. We will have lunch on the banks of the Avonmore River beside the charming church of Clara (built 1799). In the afternoon we will the visit the famous Avoca Woollen Mills, for an exploration of their historic and still operational mill, a bit of shopping, and perhaps a treat. Distance: 9 km Ascent: 220 m.
- Day 5 / The Cliff Walk & Powerscourt Estate
- Our walk takes us along the coast from Greystones to Bray. We will pass the remains of a cottage whose residents used to collect a toll from users of the Cliff Walk on behalf of the Brabazon family who owned the land. The rocky crags of Bray Head are home to millions of birds and the inaccessible coves along the coast are breeding sites for grey seals. There is also a huge variety of flora along the trail including species of orchid found in the dry grass. After the walk we will go to the Powerscourt Estate. Powerscourt is one of Europe’s great treasures and Ireland’s most famous House and Gardens. Distance: 8 km, Ascent: 80 m
- Day 6 / Departure
- After a full breakfast we make our departure for Dublin Airport.
- 5-Nights B&B in Brooke Lodge Hotel (4*)
- Meals to include: 5 Full Irish Breakfasts & 4 Packed Lunches
- Pickup at Dublin Airport and Return to Dublin Airport at the end of your tour
- All transport to and from walks and evenings out
- Entry fees to Powerscourt
- Evening Meals