The Mourne Way & Dublin City
This 7 day tour takes you from the seaside town of Newcastle through The Game of Thrones ‘Haunted Forest’ of Tollymore Forest Park and along the edge of the Mourne Mountains along forest trails and mountain paths to the stunning Carlingford Lough and the seaside along the banks of the Kilbroney River in ‘Enchanting’ Rostrevor.
Following your hike in the Mourne Mountains you will make your way via Newry to Dublin City to enjoy the vibrant life and sights of one of Europe’s finest capital cities.
Tour Pricing & Dates
|7 Day Tour||£529 per person sharing|
|Tour Dates||Available All Year|
|Tour Grade||Easy to Moderate|
|Accommodation||Guesthouse (en suite)|
|BOOKING||BOOK THIS TOUR|
- Day 1 / Newcastle
- You will arrive in the seaside town on Newcastle in the shadows of Slieve Donard, Northern Ireland's highest peak. Newcastle is the home of the world famous Royal County Down Golf Course and its granite promenade stretching the full length of the town.
- Day 2 / Newcastle to Happy Valley
- From your accommodation in Newcastle you will make your way to The Game of Thrones ‘Haunted Woods’ of Tollymore forest along the banks of the Shimna River and through Tipperary Wood. You will sweep along the south bank of Tollymore Forest on the slopes of Slieve Commedagh to the banks of the Spinkwee River. You will now join the Trassey track and finish in Happy Valley between Slieve Meelmore & Slive Meelbeg. Distance: 15km, Ascent: 250 m, Approximate walking time 4.5 hrs.
- Day 3 / Happy Valley to Leitrim Lodge
- Setting off from Happy Valley you will continue around the North-West base of Slieve Meelbeg past Fofanny reservoir. You will then walk through Spelga Pass and over Butter Mountain, the highest point on the Way trail at 500m. Following the Rowan Tree River & Rocky River you will descent to Leitrim Lodge and your accommodation in Hilltown. Distance: 14 km, Ascent: 500 m, Approximate walking time: 5 hrs.
- Day 4 / Leitrim Lodge to Rostrevor
- On your final day's walking you will follow a mixture of country and forest tracks, firstly along the base of Altaggart Mountain and after a brief climb of the slopes of Tievedockaragh you will decent into Rostrevor Forest and into the Kilbroney River Valley passing the 6th Century convent of St. Bronagh. Finally you will descend further to the shores of Carlingford Lough and into Rostrevor. Distance: 11km, Ascent: 200 m, Approximate walking time: 4 hrs
- Day 5 / Rostrevor to Dublin City
- Today you will depart Rostrevor by public transport and via Newry City to Dublin City. On your way you may wish to stop in the border town of Newry which has long been popular with shoppers from both sides of the border.
- Day 6 / Dublin City Tour
- Today you will be able to explore the Irish capital, with its rich history & culture. From the Book of Kells to the Guinness Storehouse and the various array of galleries and parks your time will be easily passed.
- Day 7 / Departure
- At your leisure after your breakfast, your tour comes to an end and it's time to depart on your onward journey.
- 6 nights B&B and full breakfast All accommodation is pre-booked in approved and carefully selected guesthouses with all rooms en-suite
- All Maps and waterproof route notes
- Details on restaurants and places of interest to visit along the way
- Luggage transfers daily while you walk with a small day pack
- All information on trains or buses needed to get to your first accommodation, during the tour and back at the end of the tour
- Full backup service should you require it while on our tour