The Mourne Way & Belfast City
This 7 day tour takes you from the seaside town of Newcastle through The Game of Thrones ‘Haunted Forest’ of Tollymore Forest Park and along the edge of the Mourne Mountains along forest trails and mountain paths to the stunning Carlingford Lough and the seaside along the banks of the Kilbroney River in ‘Enchanting’ Rostrevor.
Following your hike in the Mourne Mountains you will make your way via Newry to Belfast City to enjoy the sights along the banks of the Lagan River in the city that built the Titanic.
Tour Pricing & Dates
|7 Day Tour||£499 per person sharing|
|Tour Dates||Available All Year|
|Tour Grade||Easy to Moderate|
|Accommodation||Guesthouse (en suite)|
|BOOKING||BOOK THIS TOUR|
- Day 1 / Newcastle
- You will arrive in the seaside town on Newcastle in the shadows of Slieve Donard, Northern Ireland's highest peak. Newcastle is the home of the world famous Royal County Down Golf Course and its granite promenade stretching the full length of the town.
- Day 2 / Newcastle to Happy Valley
- From your accommodation in Newcastle you will make your way to The Game of Thrones ‘Haunted Woods’ of Tollymore Forest along the banks of the Shimna River and through Tipperary Wood. You will sweep along the south bank of Tollymore Forest on the slopes of Slieve Commedagh to the banks of the Spinkwee River. You will now join the Trassey track and finish in Happy Valley between Slieve Meelmore & Slive Meelbeg. Distance: 15km, Ascent: 250 m, Approximate walking time 4.5 hrs.
- Day 3 / Happy Valley to Leitrim Lodge
- Setting off from Happy Valley you will continue around the North-West base of Slieve Meelbeg past Fofanny reservoir. You will then walk through Spelga Pass and over Butter Mountain, the highest point on the Way trail at 500m. Following the Rowan Tree River & Rocky River you will descent to Leitrim Lodge and your accommodation in Hilltown. Distance: 14 km, Ascent: 500 m, Approximate walking time: 5 hrs.
- Day 4 / Leitrim Lodge to Rostrevor
- On your final days walking you will follow a mixture of country and forest tracks, firstly along the base of Altaggart Mountain and after a brief climb of the slopes of Tievedockaragh you will decent into Rostrevor Forest and into the Kilbroney River Valley passing the 6th Century convent of St. Bronagh. Finally you will descend further to the shores of Carlingford Lough and into Rostrevor.
- Day 5 / Rostrevor to Belfast City
- Today you will depart Rostrevor by public transport and via Newry City to Belfast City. On your way you may wish to stop in the border town of Newry which has long been popular with shoppers from both sides of the border.
- Day 6 / Belfast City Tour
- Today you will be able to explore Northern Ireland's regional capital, Belfast. From its recent chequered troubled history to its glory days of being one of Britain’s major ship building ports, building the most famous of all the titanic and now the modern city as one of the homes of the HBO epic Game of Thrones in the cities movie studios. Belfast is a city that offers something for everybody.
- Day 7 / Departure
- At your leisure after your breakfast, your tour ends and it's time to depart on your onward journey.
- 6 nights B&B and full breakfast All accommodation is pre-booked in approved and carefully selected guesthouses with all rooms en-suite
- All Maps and waterproof route notes
- Details on restaurants and places of interest to visit along the way
- Luggage transfers daily while you walk with a small day pack
- All information on trains or buses needed to get to your first accommodation, during the tour and back at the end of the tour
- Full backup service should you require it while on our tour