Beara Way – 7 Day
The Beara Way – 7 Day – Self-Guided Walking Tour
This 7 Day self-guided tour takes you along the 196km Beara Peninsula along part of the Wild Atlantic Way. Beara is a rugged peninsula in the south-west of Ireland on the shores of Bantry Bay and the Atlantic Ocean. Beara is a breathtakingly beautiful, picturesque and mystical part of Ireland.
Tour Pricing & Dates
|7 Day Tour||£546 per person sharing|
|Tour Dates 2017||Available March to October|
|Tour Grade||Easy to Moderate|
|Accommodation||Guesthouse (en suite)|
|BOOKING||BOOK THIS TOUR|
- Day 1 / Travel to Castletown
- You will arrive by public transport to Castletown, your base for the first three of nights of your tour.
- Day 2 / Adrigole to Castletown
- The first day of your tour you will be transported to Adrigole and walk back to Castletown. The whole trail offers you sweeping views across Bantry Bay to Beara Island on one side and Hungry Hill and the Slieve Miskish Mountains on the other. Travelling along a trail that flanks the southern slopes of Hungry Hill, highest mountain on the peninsula, Past Park Lough, through Comnagapple Glen back to Castletown. Distance: 20 km, Ascent: 550 m Approximate walking time: 6 hrs
- Day 3 / Beara Island (Ferry to and from the island)
- A charming island that offers a haven of peace and tranquillity on a walk that winds you along old abandoned roads and grassy tracks, through a rocky wilderness to a picturesque lighthouse and a ruined signal tower. From here you will have magnificent panoramic views of Bantry Bay, Bear Haven Harbour and back over your previous days walk. Distance: 12 km, Ascent: 420 m Approximate walking time: 3.5 hrs
- Day 4 / Castletown to Eyries
- The trail takes you out of Castletown following quiet country roads, passing Derrenataggart Stone Circle, one of the finest megalithic monuments on the peninsula. A steady ascent takes you to a saddle between Knockoura and Miskish where you have the option to shorten your day down to 13 km by crossing the centre of the Peninsula to Aughbrack and rejoin the trail at Aughabrack. Or continue on the trail through the charming village of Allihies and over the spine of the peninsula to Eyeries. Distance: 23 km, Ascent: 350 m Approximate walking time: 4 hrs
- Day 5 / Eyeries to Lauragh
- After leaving Eyeries the trail takes you down to Eyeries Point to follow a beautiful coastal path by Coulagh Bay to reach Ballycrovane Harbour, near which is the site of a magnificent 4.7 m prehistoric standing stone, an inscription in ancient Ogham writing. From here the trail turns inland to pass a charming lake called Lough Fadda (Long Lake) and on to follow a small ridge that offers a new panorama of the Kenmare River. The trail takes you through the quaint village of Ardgroom, walking parallel to the Ring of Beara road to cross the border in county Kerry and the village of Lauragh. Distance: 24 km, Ascent: 290 m Approximate walking time: 7 hrs
- Day 6 / Lauragh to Kenmare
- The hiking trail takes you out of Lauragh on a small country road to ascent steadily passing Knockatee and Drombohilly Mountains and the picturesque and lonesome Gowlaun Lough. Skirting around the base of Knockagarrane Mountain to join a small track and country road that leads you to your final ascent onto the saddle of Derrysallagh. From here you start your descent into the charming and colourful town of Kenmare. Distance: 19 km, Ascent: 275 m Approximate walking time: 5.5 hrs You could extend your walking tour by another day and walk the old Kenmare Road into the town of Killarney, through part of the Killarney’s National Park and visit Muckross House and Gardens.
- Day 7 / Depart
- From Kenmare you will make your onward journey by public transport.
- 6 nights B&B
- All accommodation is pre-booked in approved family-run guesthouses with all rooms en-suite
- Maps and all route notes
- Details on restaurants and places of interest to visit along the way
- Luggage transfers daily while you walk
- All information on trains or buses needed to get to your first accommodation, during the tour and back at the end of the tour
- Full back up service should you require it while on our tour